Cities are expanding and communities are growing in number. But to accommodate the ever-growing population size, the structure and designs of modern cities need to be adjusted such that they are eco-friendly, and where communities can prosper without increasing their carbon footprint.
Efficient urban planning and management is the need of the hour with cities continuing to grow as epicentres of social, cultural and political discourses. Services like housing, sanitation, waste management, transport and communication are in constant demand, and urbanisation will need to incorporate more participatory and inclusive approaches to meet the targets of SDG11.
Most related SDGs
· SDG 9 · SDG 12
Facts and Figures
· Of the total land area on this planet, our cities only occupy 3%
· 68% of the world’s population will be living in cities by end of 2050.
· There are 4,416 cities in the world, with China as a country with the highest number of cities-102!
· An average American buys more than 150 Plastic bottles per year.
Best Performing countries in SDG11: Sustainable Cities and Communities
No Country is yet on track to achieve the SDG11
· Carry our own bottle of tap water and stop buying plastic bottles, we are acting as aware consumers.
· Choose a clean energy supplier for the electricity needs of you and your family.
· Never litter and keep your surroundings as clean as possible.
· Sustainable Society starts from a Sustainable you!