Climate change is the new reality of our times. We live in an Earth that is warmer than before, and temperatures will continue to rise in coming days. Climate changes is a result of several phenomena, like unprecedented pollution and abuse of our environment and atmosphere, and depletion of resources faster than its possible for nature to replenish.
All countries around the world are already facing the effects of climate change. To achieve SDG 13, people living in cities and villages have to adapt their lifestyles in order to become resilient. Early warning systems need to be improved so that communities living in coastal areas or drought prone areas can be protected.
Most related SDGs
· SDG 14 · SDG 15
Facts and Figures
· A million plastic bottles are bought around the world every minute and the number will jump another 20% by 2021 (Source)
· In the Amazon, 1% of tree species sequester 50% of the region’s carbon.
· It is still possible, using several technological innovation measures and behaviour change, to limit the rise of temperature to two degree Celsius above pre-industrial levels.
If you are from any of these countries, speak up today! Hold your government responsible! If we want climate protection, we need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions drastically.
Best Performing countries in SDG13: Climate Action
Jordan, Moldova, Tanzania, Mali
· Spread seeds wherever you see some soil. Go around the city planting flower and seed saplings. Contribute to the greening of your immediate surroundings.
· Use cycles. Or the public transport. Cut down using private cars as much as possible.
· For holidays, choose to explore you own country this year instead of flying overseas. Go to a small town in the countryside which you have never heard of before. Enjoy a few days peacefully in nature.
Varun Sivaram, in his book explains the power of innovation in transforming societies by taming solar energy and its uncertainty through artificial photosynthesis that stores energy from intermittent sunshine. With increasing interest in clean energy, investors are keener to sponsor projects that will help avert the catastrophe of climate change.
Editor’s Pick: Watch this video from NASA where bees are used as tiny messengers collecting data and showing us how climate change is affecting the plant kingdom. #Savethebees